Many people do not even realize how difficult it is to get rid of fleas. Everyone is used to believing that these parasites live only on pets and you can solve the problem with a regular spray. However, these pests can easily settle in a dwelling and bite the owners, thereby transmitting a variety of diseases to them. Among the most serious diseases, it is worth noting hepatitis B and C, as well as encephalitis.
How to identify fleas by appearance?
House fleas can have two colors, black if they are young and brown if they are more mature. After the parasites got into the apartment, they begin to settle in secluded places for themselves. These are slots, cabinets, corners, pile of carpet and soft toys, as well as linen. Fleas feed on human blood and multiply at a tremendous rate. Within a week, fleas can become a difficult problem for homeowners to fix.
Today, there are many types of fleas, however, only a few can settle in the house:
- house fleas – this type of pest is the most common. They get into the house with the help of dogs, cats, mice or rats. For them, it does not matter what they eat, they will like both human blood and the blood of animals. Even a few individuals that accidentally got into an apartment can multiply into a whole swarm in a few days. Getting rid of household fleas is quite difficult.
How to remove fleas from their home quickly – read here .
- basement, or “earthen” fleas . Adult individuals can measure from one to five millimeters, which greatly complicates their recognition. These insects enter the apartment from the basement and live in carpets and fleecy blizzards. For this feature, earthen fleas can be called carpet fleas. Unlike domestic fleas, these insects cannot jump to a height of more than one meter.
- sand fleas live in the ground and are up to one millimeter in size. In our country, they are extremely rare, but it is quite difficult to remove them. Adults are light white in color.
All species of fleas have piercing-sucking mouthparts, thanks to which they can easily drink the blood of both animals and humans. Insects need blood all the time, so you need to get rid of them as soon as possible.
How do fleas get into a home?
In most cases, fleas enter the house with the help of animals. But, people who do not have pets cannot be sure that parasites will not get into the house.
Fleas can get into the house in the following ways:
- with the help of mice and rats, if the apartment is located on the first floor;
- on people’s clothes, this is especially true in the autumn period, when it is possible to jump into woolen things;
- from neighbors who have pets.
Getting into the house, fleas begin to bite the legs and stomach of a person, after which red spots remain, which are very painful. Painful bites do not go away for a long time and bring people a lot of discomfort.
Folk remedies for flea control
Folk remedies are quite effective ways to deal with fleas. They are absolutely safe for human and pet health, however, putting the plan into practice will have to be a little tricky.
The most effective are the following folk remedies:
- Infusion of tansy and wormwood . To prepare the remedy, you need to take the following ingredients: tansy – 1 tbsp. spoon, wormwood leaves – 2 tablespoons; eucalyptus leaves – 1 tablespoon. Pour all this with one glass of boiling water and insist for ten to twelve hours. Strain the infusion, pour it into a spray bottle and carefully treat the dwelling.
- Freezing . This method involves thorough ventilation of the apartment in the winter. Since fleas cannot live at low temperatures, they will soon die. If it is not possible to carry out such a procedure, you can take carpets, rugs and bedspreads outside. This should destroy the flea eggs.
- Food soda . As it turns out, the usual soda, which is in every home. It must be mixed with table salt and all carpets and rugs should be treated with the resulting powder. After a few hours, the treated surfaces must be vacuumed.
- Wormwood and coniferous shavings . Many have repeatedly heard that wormwood is used as amulets. But, as it turns out, this is not in vain, because wormwood really protects the house from pests. Using the branches of this plant and coniferous shavings, fleas can be driven away in a short period of time. You need to lay them out in all corners of the house, and in places where fleas accumulate in the greatest numbers.
How to get rid of fleas with aerosols
One of the effective ways to deal with fleas is the use of special aerosol products, which are full on the modern market. The most famous drugs in our time is Dichlorvos. To process a two-room apartment , you need to stock up on five liters of this product. When buying an aerosol on the market, you need to pay attention to the fact that the drug is intended for the extermination of crawling insects.
The method of application of “Dichlorvos” is very simple, and is as follows:
- remove all residents and pets from the apartment, wear a respirator and protective gloves;
- spray the substance on all surfaces in the house;
- close the room for five to six hours;
- after the end of the specified time, thoroughly ventilate the dwelling.
Thanks to the use of aerosol cans, you can get rid of parasites in just one day. However, parasites may appear again after a while, therefore, the procedure can be repeated.
In addition to Dichlorvos, there are a huge number of other equally effective flea control products on the market. All drugs on the market can be combined into two groups:
1. Preparations for the treatment of furniture and surfaces in the house. This group includes a huge number of different means, among which the following can be noted:
- Adams Flea & Tick Carpet Spray is a spray used on carpets, furniture, curtains, and other hairy items in the home. The composition of the drug contains such agents as pyriproxyfen, linalol and permethrin. Thanks to the use of the substance, you can easily get rid of adult fleas, as well as prevent the development of larvae and eggs.
- Adams Flea & Tick Lawn Spray is a unique flea treatment for outdoors, not indoors. Thanks to the spray, you can get rid of parasites in the yard and thereby protect your pets. A substance based on fenvalerate upholsters adults. One can is enough for 550 square meters. The persecution must be repeated several times at intervals of one week.
- Adams Room Fogger is a pyriproxyfen and permethrin-based nebulizer that is used indoors to kill flea eggs, larvae and adults.
- Bio Spot Flea & Tick Mist with Nylar is a product that contains pyrethrin and pyriproxyfen. It is used indoors to kill adult fleas and other insects. On the modern market there are two options for the product, for cats and dogs.
- Fresh & Free Flea Spray is an effective pyriproxyfen-based spray used on carpets and upholstered furniture. The tool is used to destroy eggs and flea larvae.
2. Means for combating parasites in pets. This group includes the means by which you can kill fleas living on the body of animals:
- Aerosol Adams designed to kill fleas and ticks. The agent is applied locally for the treatment of animals aged from three months.
- Pyrethrin-based Adams liquid for pets over three months of age. The tool is applied locally to remove adult fleas.
- Advantage – a means for the destruction of adult fleas and their larvae. Applied once a month for pets over two months old.
- K9 Advantix is a combination of imidacloprid and permethrin used to treat dogs two months of age and older. It is recommended to use the product no more than once a month. K9 Advantix kills adult fleas and inhibits the development of eggs and larvae.
- Bio Spot is an aerosol that is available in two versions: for cats and dogs. When using the drug for cats, you need to keep in mind that their age must exceed 7 months. The tool is also suitable for treating places where the cat sleeps. Regarding dogs, the remedy can be used only after the pet reaches 6 months.
- Capstar is a nitenpyram-based drug used to treat dogs and porridges older than one month old and weighing more than one kilogram. The substance is taken with food daily. After entering the body, the medicine begins to act in thirty minutes, destroying adult fleas.
- Defend is a drug for the treatment of puppies older than one month. Using the tool, you can get rid of adult fleas, ticks and mosquitoes.
Using chemicals to control fleas
When using chemicals to control insects, you need to be as careful as possible. Once in food, they can cause poisoning. Also, do not stay in a room that has been treated with chemicals for a long time, as the fumes enter the respiratory tract of a person and can cause fainting.
Using preparations of a chemical nature, you need to use protective equipment, such as respirator gloves. After processing, residents, along with animals, must leave the house for several hours. It is best to stay overnight in a hotel or with relatives, as the unpleasant smell lasts for another 24 hours after treatment.
Among the most common chemicals, Butox 50 is worth noting. It is not very toxic and quite effective. You can buy a spray at any zoological store.
The amount of the drug used depends on the area of \u200b\u200bthe apartment and the nature of the surfaces. For smooth surfaces, you only need 20 milliliters of product per 10 liters of water. The applied solution cannot be washed off for three days, therefore, the residents will be forced to leave their home.
A more radical remedy is Chlorophos. This substance is quite toxic, but still not poisonous to humans and animals. Among the disadvantages of the drug is its strong unpleasant odor, therefore, not everyone will agree to use it.
Help from experts in the fight against fleas
The cost of calling exterminators is quite high, however, it fully justifies the quality of the services provided. Specialists will destroy all pests in the shortest possible time, and the owners of the house will be able to return to their home on the same day and no longer feel discomfort due to fleas.
For the work of the master, high-quality materials are used, which in the future will not harm either the owners of the apartment or pets. In addition, most drugs do not even have a smell, so you don’t have to worry about the fact that one of the family members will have an allergy.
Most often, experienced professionals use the following drugs:
- Extermin F.
- Effective Ultra.
All these drugs are highly effective and safe.
After professional treatment of the home, the reappearance of fleas is almost impossible.
Preventive measures against fleas
Residents of a private house or apartment on the ground floor are most likely to have fleas in their homes. That is why, it is necessary to implement security measures to reduce the possibility of the appearance of parasites to zero.
The following procedures are recommended:
- clean carpets with powders or give them to dry cleaning and ask for additional processing with special products;
- wash the floors with vinegar diluted in the reins.
These methods are suitable for those people who categorically oppose the use of chemicals. Starting to wash the floors, you need to keep in mind that you need to process all the premises, we pay special attention to the cracks in the floor and baseboards. If the walls are painted and can be washed, it is better not to miss this opportunity.
Seeing cracks on the floor, walls or windows, they must be repaired, since it is through them that fleas can enter the dwelling. If someone’s pet gets into the house, it must be driven away and the places where the animal managed to visit must be washed.