“I have rats at my home!!! Not long ago I purchased several various bait stations in order to see in practice which will work better. Only Protecta LP Rat BaIt Station was seen to be visited by rats most often for they have been returning there to get another portion of their “treating”. I go on treating them with “green goodies” and it seems to work great, rats are becoming fewer!”
Let’s see what are pros and cons of this bestseller in the category of rat bait stations, and how to use it correctly.
Short product description:
- Its “Low Profile” makes it easy to use in hard-to-reach places or those which you are not willing to spend extra time.
- The shape of bait station suits ideally to locate it along walls and in corners.
- The Protecta LP rat bait station locks automatically, to open it, special keys are available (included in the set).
- Resistant to water and any weather.
Pros of Protecta LP Rat Bait Station:
- This bait station is resistant to deformations:
“At last I’ve found a tough bait station! Previous ones couldn’t stand the attack of neighboring dogs, but this one can stand for itself!”
- The device works well on rats and is safe for kids and pets:
“I’m delighted! To get rid of these nasty rats, I’ve tried traps (didn’t work) and even poisons but had to take them away quickly as I was afraid to harm my pets, 3 dachshunds. And this thing may be blocked safely, so dogs are not able to get into it even if they desire much to. A cool thing! It works really!”
“It closes securely and requires either a special key or a flat head screwdriver to open”.
- Rats like it:
“I’ve left this rat bait station in the garage and forgotten about it for a couple of months. When opened, found nothing except seeds and fruits skin. I rubbed my hands with joy))) rats appear to have decided that that is their new dwelling and have eaten all green “treating” – bon appétit!:)”.
The best approach is to use bait blocks that can be anchored inside the bait station to prevent them from being removed. The best poison baits in blocks you can choose in 5 Best Poison Baits Review.
Tomcat Bait Chunks: These bait chunks are manufactured with human food-grade ingredients and enhancers for a bait so palatable that rats and mice cannot resist. this bait can be used in the bait station to make it safer for children and pets. This bait is moisture resistant and can be used indoors and out. Check current price.
Placement of bait stations
Proper placement of bait stations is just as important as using the appropriate rodenticide. Rats and mice will not visit bait stations, regardless of their contents, if they are not conveniently located in areas where rodents are active.
You should place bait stations between the rodents’ nest and their food supply. Specialists from the University of Missouri say that rodents usually will not go out of their way to find baits. House mice seldom venture more than a few feet from their nests or food sources, so place bait stations no more than 10 or 12 feet apart in areas where mice are active. As for rats, you must know they are suspicious of new, unfamiliar objects. It may take 2-5 days for rats to enter and feed in bait stations.
Cons of product:
- There is only one key in the set no matter how many bait stations you have ordered:
“I ordered 5 of these, but only received one key with the purchase”.
“Bought 3 boxes for 3 locations but only 1 key for 3 people to use”.
- No instructions on how to open or how to use, you need to use video instructions.
- Easily holds four normal length bait blocks.
- From the point of view of their design, these bait stations will go more with uninhabited locations (for example, in the attic) or outdoors (in the yard or garden). But its efficiency doesn’t depend on the design, of course.
- One of the customers wrote that he found Protecta LP bait station to be bigger than he had expected and not very esthetic for the kitchen. But as it had managed its task effectively, the man didn’t object this little characteristic. Perhaps rats in your kitchen look worse than a bait station?
Tips from customers:
- In order not to lose a key and prevent it’s getting into children’s hands, use a Garden Iron Frog Hide A Key (Check current price): “It does have a key that I keep hidden in one of those cute little metal frogs/turtles.
- As a kind of key, you may use a can opener or purchase additional key for Check current price.
- Set something fairly heavy on the device, like a big stone so as to deter the raccoons or other mischievous rodents to overturn it.
- Since rat baits dehydrate the body of a rat, locate the bait station far away from water if you want to get rid of rats as soon as possible.
Questions & Answers about Protecta LP Rat Bait Station
Does this bait station help to kill cockroaches?
If you place a Protecta LP rat bait station in the home, you have a chance. Just put into both cockroach bait and rat bait.
What about squirrels?
Squirrels are unlikely to crawl into a bait station, so you needn’t worry about their safety. If your problem is squirrels, read: How to get rid of squirrels. We advise to use natural repellents or trap cages instead of poisonous baits.
What bait will go with the bait station better?
We advise to use it together with Tomcat All Weather Bait for Check current price. This bait is also one of the bestsellers of and is often bought together with Protecta LP rat bait station.
Specs of product:
- Product Dimensions: 13″ across by 9″. Deep by 3 and 3/8″
- Shipping Weight: 1.6 pounds