To trick and catch a squirrel is not so easy as you may think, because you are dealing with a clever creature. There are some types of baits available which are used according to the instruction. We have investigated the market of humane cage traps for squirrels. In this category the leading company is Havahart, whose main specialization is, namely, Traps for squirrels, hares and other animals.
Is it worth to use Havahart x-small one-door animal trap, how effective does it work, what do customers say about this product, the features of it, tips and questions about using — all you need is in our product review.
Specs of product:
Product Dimensions: 16 x 6 x 6.4 inches
Shipping Weight: 3.3 pounds
Short product description:
- Constructed of sturdy rust-resistant wire mesh with steel reinforcements for long life and galvanized for maximum resistance to rust and corrosion.
- Mesh openings are smaller than competing traps of comparable size to prevent escapes and stolen bait.
- Gravity action door and sensitive trigger to ensure quick, secure captures that target the specific animal size, eliminating undesired catches.
- Solid door and handle guard protect the user during transportation, while smoothed internal edges protect and prevent injuries to animals. Trigger rod is located outside the trap so animal cannot damage it while being in the trap.
- Ideal for catching voles, squirrels, flying squirrels, rats, weasels, and similar-size nuisance animals.
Pros of Havahart One-Door Animal Trap:
- It's humane way to get rid of squirrels. Catch them and get free in the forest:
1. “Time to get trap, two days. Time to set trap, 5 minutes. Time to catch squirrel, 20 minutes! Much to the displeasure of one squirrel, this trap worked great. I read other reviews and placed the bait (cheezits and peanut butter) under the edge of the trip pad”.
2. “This trap is like Squirrel-ca-traz in a box. My Recommendation would be... if you have a squirrel problem this is the solution”.
3. “I had something eating my veggies so I bought the trap to find out what it was. After a couple of days I found a rabbit in the cage. I took him across the street to an open field with a chain link fence separating us and let it go. I didn't catch anything else so I put it on my back porch where I found droppings of other critters and caught a ground squirrel. The trap does work and it does hold any kind of critter you want to rid yourself of”.
4. “Works great. I've caught more than 10 squirrels in less than 2 weeks so far using peanuts as bait. Setting up the trap is so simple my 4 and 6 year old kids can do it”.
5. “All I can say is Holly Guacamole! I catched 10 squirrels in 5 days, what a great trap and it's very easy to use. Those little bastards were eating all my tomatoes, now they live one hour away from home :) It worth every single penny that I spent in this trap”.
Cons of product:
- Sometimes squirrels turn out to be too strong, and the trap can’t compete with them in endurance:
1. “I love everything about this trap. It has worked great for my squirrel population. But the flimsy tab on the door broke after 5 squirrels. The squirrels in there attempting to escape pulled the tab inside the cage. The tab was not strong enough to handle the abuse”.
2. “I have been using 4 different types of Havahart traps now for 3 seasons and capture between 29 to 40 squirrels, rabbits and rats (plus the occasional bird) each year. This one works well but the squirrels have broken the locking tab on the door”.
3. “The problem is there is a small tab on the sliding door to lock it in place when it closes. The squirrels will pull on anything to try to escape and they have now broken the tab off completely. I still use the trap but if they turn it on its side or get their fingers under the door they will open it and get out".
Features of product:
- This live catch trap works well on little squirrels. If you have too big squirrels, it seems to be small to catch them effectively.
Tips from Amazon customers:
1. “Great advice to put trapped victim in a box while transporting. Squirrel expressed his feelings of his situation all over the bottom of the trap”.
2. “The corners of the trip plate are a little sharp so put a little duct tape on them so it doesn't hurt the critters”.
3. “Put a brick or two on top of the trap to keep the critters from flipping it over”.
4. “Lightly draping a towel or rag over the top to hide the sides to disguise the trap”.
5. “My thought has been that they should be released as soon as possible, but that is wrong. If it is dark, you should wait until the next day. Seconds after releasing the squirrel it scampered off and was killed by a large owl. The feeling of being pleased that I was humanely relocating a small animal immediately has turned to disgust. This has been just awful. I like squirrels, I just don't want them digging holes all over the yard. Please learn from my mistake. Make sure it is daytime when releasing them”.
6. Use peanut butter, pieces of bread as trap baits, it works great, it's noted by customers.
7. “Check the trap very frequently and have a tool ready to unstick the door when you release the animal into the wild. I was trying to use a stick to release it and the squirrel was biting the stick. Oy. Breaking the door was the only option”.
8. You'd better to make a slight adjustment to the tension (more tense) to the clip on the front door and exposure to rain has created rust on the door clip.
Questions & Answers about squirrels live catch traps
– trapping tips –
How should you prepare your trap for work?
This trap is very effective but setting is its small defect. To set, you try to remember these things - the long straight piece tucks under the long piece with the curve/hook in it. Then you have to place the bait on the tray with one hand inside the trap, helping to steady the bait tray, and with the other hand outside the trap, hook the long piece with the curve against the short piece that comes from the bait tray. Maybe, you won’t be able to manage at once, but believe: this trap is worth for you to try to set it several times.
I have known that there are similar traps with two doors. What for are these two doors?
Two doors allow to place the bait easier, besides it will be simpler to free the animal. But if it won’t be effective for you (for example, the animals will escape before both doors slam), continue to use standard one door traps.
Will I succeed to capture grey squirrels with the help of such trap?
Yes, you will, because the size of the trap allows it, on condition that the squirrels are not too large. As a bait you may use peanut butter, pieces of an apple, birds’ feed, seeds of sunflower or raisings. Don’t also forget to place a little food outside the bait, this lures squirrels.
Ideal for catching voles, squirrels, flying squirrels, rats weasels, and similar-size nuisance animals.